Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

"The Ransom For A Life Is Costly"

"No one can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for them-- for the ransom for a life is costly, no payment is ever enough-- so that they should live on forever and not see decay....But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; He will surely take me to Himself."  (Psalm 49, NIV)

The whole of Psalm 49 is quite powerful in its sobriety.  "The Word of God," is telling us that all humanity, whether rich of poor, is destined to the same ignominious end, "For all can see that the wise die, that the foolish and the senseless also perish, leaving their wealth to others....People, despite their wealth, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish." (vv.10 & 12).

Then a "Gospel hint" comes in, "But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; He will surely take me to Himself."  What an absolutely glorious prophetic revelation of the ultimate purpose of the, "ransom for them....He will surely take me to Himself."  Can you see with me today this wondrous love of our Father, of The Son, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?  His desire is to bring all humanity, "to Himself."  We are like lambs in the arms of, "I Am the Good ShepherdThe Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep", in order to, "....take me to Himself." 

Yet our rebellion is the great chasm between us and the Living Triune God.  The "crossing" of that chasm was so, "costly," and no one can ever know that, "cost[]."  There was Jesus' Blood in the Garden, Jesus' Blood before Pilate and the soldiers, the Blood-stained Via Dolorosa, and Jesus' Blood of the Cross.  Again, "for a ransom for a life is costly." 

"Jesus paid it all; all to Him I owe. 
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so thank You for the cost which You paid for my redemption.  Amen.
***************************
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive