Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, July 19, 2018

"Affliction, Which Is But For A Moment"

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seenFor the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."  (2 Corinthians 4:17, 18)


What are you looking at today?  It will determine your day, depression or joy, defeat or victory.  I always find it interesting that Paul, who had suffered much for Jesus, spoke of the afflictions of this life as, "light."  Most do not believe that, especially when one is in seasons of suffering whether physically or emotionally.  But maybe a key here is what he says later, "which is but for a moment."

When we sit around a conference table, Bible study group, or the discussion at the coffee house, we can come to rather "sane" conclusions, those which are right, Jesus-Centered, Biblical principles.  "Yes," all would agree, "Our sufferings and trials are just, 'for a moment,' when you consider time vs. eternity."  But then, we leave the "discussion" and go back to the sufferings.  They seem to hover over us like some legendary dragon, mocking the recent discussion, challenging every Word of God.

So, what do we do?  You can stop reading here, or let me encourage you with what I so often encourage you.  We came home from my parents after we buried Stephen.  I was nothing, had nothing, gave nothing.  I was alone and empty.  You know the rest.  I picked up the Bible, the Words of Jesus, and began to read almost non stop for weeks.  I felt nothing, had no particular "divine revelation."  But I was empowered.  It was not an empowerment which I could, "look at," or was, "seen."  It was, and I have never doubted this for a moment, an empowerment from the "realm" of, "the things which are not seen," viz., "eternal."

There is a very real sense in which the admonition to keep, "Looking unto Jesus," is a command to live in, "....things which are not seen...."  What that gaze does for us is sustain us in the great Biblical Truth, "....the things which are not seen---- Eternal."  So, here I am today, my friend, going on in Jesus in this, "....light affliction, which is but for a moment...."  Let's walk it out together.

 Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess the battle of living a, "seen," life.  I trust You, Holy Spirit, to continually empower me to live in the, "not seen."  Amen.
**************************
I would like to spend at least a couple of days in DC during the confirmation hearings of Judge Kavanaugh.  I am waiting for the dates. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive