Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, January 26, 2018

"Spoken Of In Memory Of Her"


"But the disciples were indignant when they saw this, and said, 'Why this wasteFor this perfume might have been sold for a high price and the money give to the poor'....Jesus...said, 'Why do you bother the womanFor she has done a good deed to Me....Truly I say to you, wherever the gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done shall also be spoken of in memory of her.'" (Matthew 26, NASB)

Oswald Chambers taught that, "The chief motivation behind Paul's service was not love for others but love for his Lord.  If our devotion is to the cause of humanity, we will be quickly defeated....But if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, I can serve humanity, even though people may treat me like a doormat."  I can think of no better interpretation of our text. 

When Jesus said that, "what this woman has done shall also be spoken of in memory of her", I believe it is primarily His call to us to love Him the same way, viz., lavishly, unsparingly.  Is our worship today that of, "this woman," who poured, "a vial of very costly perfume," on Jesus?  Or, are there those who say, "Why this waste?"  I memorialize, "this woman," today because she loved Jesus as I love Jesus.  I can only pray that it be as Jesus says, "a good deed to Me."

Notice that lavish love is demonstrated by, "a good deed to Me."  How do we demonstrate today such worship, love, devotion to our Lord Jesus as did, "this woman"?  Jesus' "answer" to this is the greatest, "good deed....If you love Me, keep (obey) My Commandments."  Now there can be much that I may do and say which may "pour love" upon Jesus.  But if I desire to do as, "this woman," did, i.e., "a good deed to Me"-------------------- "Keep My commandments."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I desire to be as, "this woman."  Amen.
*********************************
* "Germany: Return of the Stasi Police State?"   jhs58.blogspot.com
* Washington, DC:  January 29 & 30

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive