Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Command in Worship

"Let all the angels of God worship Him." (Hebrews 1:6b)

God has revealed Himself throughout history and spoken, "....at various times and in various ways...."  Hebrews 1 says that in Jesus, Father has spoken His "Last" Word.  This, "Word of  God," Jesus, is the Word of Father, "Worship Him."

When we lost Stephen, I was "gone."  As you may recall, our Lord was able eventually to "get through" to me, and to me in His Words.
I have pondered that often over the years, and today a thought occurred to me.  I was not reading some sort of "cathartic" book.  I was reading the history of humanity, the triumphs, the defeats, ecstatic joy followed by sadness and depression-- it's all "in there."  Yet perhaps of greatest "value" was the fact that I was, at least in some sense, getting out of myself.  You see, it was "myself" which was the problem.  I had, and still have, a choice: what to do with what comes my way, viz., looking to me, or, "looking to Jesus."

Today I read our text.  It is all about Jesus.  There is no mention that I am wonderful and can "do anything if you put your mind to it."  Hebrews 1 does not speak of "overcoming faith"; it does not talk of getting prayers answer, etc., etc.  Hebrews 1 speaks of Jesus, Who He Is, His glory, His Eternalness, "'Your throne, O God, is forever and ever'....And, 'Thou, Lord, in the beginning didst lay the foundation of the earth....They will perish, but You remain.'"  And so will all those who put their trust in Jesus.

Hebrew 1 for me is worship in the most beautiful, powerful sense.  It is comparable for me to Psalm 145, which I read in the US Supreme Court Building this past Monday.  Worship is not singing about me, nor even what Jesus has done for me.  Worship is: "Let all the angels of God worship Him."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I worship You, Son Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  Thank You so much for showing Yourself to humanity in Jesus.  Amen.
*************************
Glorious time in DC

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive