Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Listen Before We Speak

"The Lord God has given Me the tongue of disciples, that I may know how to sustain the weary one with a wordHe awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple."  (Isaiah 50:4, NASB)

Some believe this is Jesus as the Son of Man, the suffering servant of Isaiah 53, speaking here of the "nature" of His service to humanity.  Indeed, Jesus has been doing this for me from the beginning, but I didn't "take advantage" of His Word, "....morning by morning," until I entered extreme suffering.

But notice that it can also apply to you and me.  From our text today, I got the idea that if you and I are to speak with, "the tongue of disciples," we need to have an, "....ear to listen as a disciple."  This "Word" to me today is a word which says that only the one who has first listened to, "The Word of God," can have, "....the tongue of disciples."

Here before we speak, is a Biblical principle.  "He awakens me morning by morning", for this very purpose: To hear, "The Word of God."  This can be illustrated by the "devotional" time we spend in Jesus before we meet anyone in a given day, call it "quite time," or "devotions," whatever.  If we speak to others before we, "....listen as a disciple", I wouldn't trust what we say.  For me, "....the tongue of disciples,..is the, "tongue," which knows, "....how to sustain the weary one with a word." 

Our Lord Jesus fulfills our text to me every day.  Weariness in life can affect us all at any given time.  Sustenance in weariness can only come from Jesus, and also anyone in whom Jesus Christ lives, ones who have Jesus' Words written in their hearts and minds.  O, weary one, today:  Jesus is our Sustaining Word.  This is my prayer for these devotionals, that I can be of help, "....to sustain...," you in Jesus. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for me and my friend that we will be continual disciples of You, disciples who, "know how to sustain the weary one with a word."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive