Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Beware The Word "Disillusion"!

"Whoever is pregnant with evil conceives trouble and gives birth to disillusionment." (Psalm 7:14, NIV)

Everyone must be very careful in speaking the word, "disillusion."  Our text takes it right back to the "speaker."  Notice the progression: "evil," followed by, "trouble," followed by, "disillusionment."

I have read this passage many times in the NIV, but today I saw something which I don't believe I have seen before.  From further study, I get the sense in our text that any, "disillusionment," on the part of the disillusioned is the result of the, "evil," in the said disillusioned.  In other words, "disillusionment," results from, "evil," not from the person, organization, etc., which the accuser names.  Why is this so?

The root of, "disillusionment," is one's expectations.  I go to a local church with one expectation; I get married with one expectation; I prepare for a vocation, and get a job with one expectation.  Then, behold; it just "did not work out."  Why?-- mostly because of self-centered, self-assertion expectations.  I wanted it this way, and it became that way, which really means, I wanted it my way, and "they" got their way.  How many times have you heard the phrase, "I gave myself in that relationship (church, marriage, job, friendship), but they..............  "They" what?  Beware the evil which leads to, "
disillusionment."

How does one "protect" him/herself from, "disillusionment"?  Okay, here's a controversial reply: Don't expect anything.  The moment expectations rule, which are usually selfish, the, "evil," of that selfishness, "....conceives trouble."  The only "child" which can come from that is, "disillusionment." 

When Jesus Christ and His Word live and reign in you and me, however, there can be no, "disillusionment."  Everything Jesus tells us, everything Jesus promises is true, because He Himself is Truth.  The cure for, "disillusionment," is to live our lives, "Looking unto Jesus."  Get our eyes (expectations) off humanity and anything "connected" with humanity.  Or, "....Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin (expectation) that so easily entanglesAnd let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (not looking to our expectations, but rather) fixing our eyes on Jesus...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, You are my Only Expectation.  Amen.
************************
Read one reason I voted for President Trump: jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive