Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Beware of Those "Itching Ears"

"....I give you this chargePreach the Word....For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrineInstead, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."  (2 Timothy 4;3, NIV)

"Preach the Word," and, "itching ears," are two different worlds. 

If I read the Bible daily, nothing any preacher, Bible teacher, fellow Believer in Jesus says should ever come as a shock.  That only happens when I am not a person committed to, "the Words of God."  If, on the other hand, I am an, "itching ears," person, those who preach and teach, those whose lives are totally surrendered to Jesus, "the Word," will be a continual "shock."

For far too many, "itching ears," is the way they choose a local church.
Of course, this is not the only reason some leave a local church; there are indeed legitimate reasons.  But I choose not to dwell on that.  What came to me this morning is, How much of that, "itching ears," doctrine really helps people?

You and I know that a life of just pursuing justification for our beliefs, our life style, going to church services and conferences where they, "prophesy smooth things," keeps us from the real help, the real healing that we all need.  Anyway, if life were a "smooth" journey, "smooth things," would be the answer.  Have you found it, "smooth"?

"Sound doctrine," the Truth in Jesus, is that which alone can heal what the Bible calls, "a broken spirit." Paul told Timothy, and our Lord Jesus, "The Word of God," tells us in the, "Preach the Word," command that the only "source" of life, healing, "and the pursuit of happiness" is in daily reading, meditating, and obeying the, "God-Breathed," Words.  You know my continual testimony.

Whatever suffering, heartache, rejection, shattered dreams a person may be facing today, "itching ears," and, "prophesy smooth things," is not the answer; you and I know that.  The thought occurred to me the other day: An absolute commitment to Jesus Christ is synonymous with continual submission to His Words.  I cannot talk of, "born again," or, "saved," or Christian, or preacher, or missionary, or active church member if "The Book" does not dominate my life.

The hymn says that when heartache comes, "take it to the Lord in prayer."  I would add, Let Jesus "take it to you" in His Words.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You that I see in Your Words to me a very fine Father.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive