Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

"The Race Is Not To The Swift"

"The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all."  (Ecclesiastes 9:11, From today's Wisdom Literature)

I wonder how many Bibles have this underlined.

When I was a junior in high school I participated in an indoor track meet with schools from the Tri State area.  Of the 75 hurdlers I had made it to the final six.  I had run against three of the six in previous heats and beaten them.  I had a good chance of at least placing in the top three.  I was leading going over the first hurdle, but hit the second------ the rest is the proverbial history.  Three of the runners whom I had beaten befor
e went flying by.  "The race is not (always) to the swift...."  Then there is the story of the 1924 Olympics which was featured in the great film, "Chariots of Fire."  Harold Abrams won the gold medal, but two tenths of a second slower than the American sprinter, Charles Paddock's world record time of 10.4.  In the final of the 100 meters Pollock, at that point carrying the title of "The world's fastest man," placed fifth.  There are also innumerable incidents in history where mightier forces were defeated by not just fewer, but weaker forces.  And, we can say that here have been, "men of skill," which never received, "favor." 

Now many would say, "What does this have to do with our church services, "faith seminars," and missions conferences?"  Many would say that our text is Old Testament; hence, basically, forget it.  That, indeed, is the approach in life of many who call themselves Christian.  But maybe in the Church we need to have a little more, "Look around;" see what is happening rather than what we want to happen.  This has nothing to do with "faith bashing."  This is an attempt to look at the way "life works."  Is there something here of "an honest look," as opposed to a "rose-colored" look?

"....Say to this mountain....If you ask Me anything....I will do it."  These are the Words of, "The Word of God," Jesus.  And, can I say that if we do this and "nothing" seems to happen, we need to do what Luke 18:1 says, "He gave them a parable to this end, that men should always pray and never give up."  For far too many, when things don't go as they ask, declare, or whatever, they get discouraged, even quit.  Then they often succumb to self-condemnation, "They have the favor of  God, and I don't.  They have faith, and I don't.  They are more righteous than I.  This is what I deserve."  According to Jesus' Words, such reasoning is nonsense.

Stop this, my friend, if you are prone to such thinking, reasoning, theology.  I should have placed at least third in that final, but I didn't.  Perhaps Paddock should have won the 1924 100 meters, but he didn't.  I could give example after example, but the truth of our text remains as a sobering "reality check."  If one reads the Bible, one just cannot come to any reason for quitting in life, no matter what life hands us, even when we may face discouragement after discouragement, even defeat.  Paul said, "For I am persuaded...," and this persuasion was based only upon, "The Words of God."  You and I need such a continual, "I am persuaded." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I trust You.  This is how I desire to continue to live.  Amen.   

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive