Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 29, 2016

A "Miracle" Won't Help

"But He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded thought one rise from the dead.'"  (Luke 16:31)

Most people would have the nerve to take exception here with, "The Word of God," Jesus.  They are of the reasoning, "Yes, but...."  With all the talk of "power evangelism," or "people have to see miracles," etc., I am more and more convinced of our text.  There is not a miracle which you or I could "perform," there is not a "national disaster" or the greatest intellectual argument anyone could come up with that will bring people to Jesus other than the Words of Jesus-------- PERIOD. 

Some would say, "Well, what about all those miracles in the Old Testament, the Gospels, the Book of Acts?  Did they not bring people to faith?"  Perhaps, but if you go to the end of the Gospel Narratives, how many of those who saw all of the miracles of Jesus were there at the Cross?  And after the Cross, the disciples, who, by the way, saw everything Jesus did as He walked The Land, were in hiding.  And then there was the great "patron saint" of miracle worship, "Unless I see.., I will not believe."  We all remember our Lord's response to that reasoning.

I confess that there have been times in my life when I have prayed the prayer of David, "Show me a sign for good...."  But it is important to read the rest of his statement, "....that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, because You, Lord, have helped me and comforted me."  It is not, "so I can believe."  It is not a prayer for some audible voice, a Constantine "sign in the sky."  The Biblical principle is, "Your Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You."  His Words are life-giving, sustaining, revelation, "lamp to my feet and light to my path."  I know; there you go again, Barnette, same ol' same old.  But of this, my friend, I get no end of pleasure in reminding you and me.

I have said and written before that the power in what the Bible refers to as, "the Words of God," is in the, "I will put My laws in their mind and write them in their heart," not some religious mumbo jumbo quoting of verses that are not "ours," that is, not written in our hearts and in our minds, which are not, "they   are   your   life."  There have been Bible toters over the centuries who carry the Book, quote the Book, but somehow give out a hollow religious air which leaves the hearer wondering, "What's that all about."  May our Lord Jesus ever keep us from such a life.

Our text is powerful, first, because, as with all Scripture, the words are, "God-Breathed."  Secondly, they are, "life to those who find them."  No miracle in the Universe will ever be able to "compete" with, "The Word of God," and His Words.

Father, in Jesus' Name, "O how love I Thy law."  May It/You be, "my meditation all the day."  Amen.
*******************
* I would appreciate any prayers for our upcoming service in Jesus' Church and Kingdom, September 9-19, October 4-27.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive