Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 2, 2016

So You Need "Stronghold"?

"The Lord also will be a refuge ('a sure height, stronghold') for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." (Psalm 9:9, KJV)

Intervarsity and the Navigators were/are big on Scripture memorization.  I memorized our text while a freshman in college.  The text is as empowering as it was the first time I read and memorized it almost 55 years ago.

"....stronghold in the day of trouble."  30 years ago last month I first visited Berlin, Germany, and crossed the well-known Check Point Charlie.  It was on that day that I first saw the Pergamon Museum in the then, East Berlin.  Also, 40 years ago this month my first mission outside of the US took me to England, Nigeria, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Hungary.  In those days, there was even a border stop and check between The Netherlands and Germany.  We crossed into Hungary from Austria with hundreds of Bibles.  40 years have come and gone since that day in June, 1976, when I took off from the Pittsburgh Airport.  Over the many years I was detained by the KGB, had to jumped off a train in Romania, was robbed/threatened, body-searched, had cars practically dismantled, "The Lord Jesus Christ also will be a refuge/sure height/stronghold...," was then, is now a Rock Solid, "God-Breathed," Living-Triune-God-Sustaining Word.

What about you today?  I know you have many such testimonies.  I so desperately needed a, "stronghold/refuge," when Stephen died.  Jesus Was, Is, Ever Shall Be my, "refuge/ stronghold in times of trouble."  He is, or for those who may not know Jesus, Jesus can be the Same to you.  There are so very many passages in Scriptures which give a similar life-empowering promise.  Let me write it, and hear our Lord Jesus Christ say again to you and me, "I, "The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are My Hiding Place.  Amen.
*********************
Read: Someone finally gets it right about illegal immigration, when even Fox News didn't get it right.  Go to:   jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive