Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, May 16, 2016

"Now The Lord Came And Stood...."

"Now the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, 'SamuelSamuel!'" (1 Samuel 3:10a)

But this time it was different.

Our pastor preached on this text yesterday, and I want to share something of what I came away with.  He pointed out that the word in the Hebrew means, "to set or station oneself, take one's stand."  It gives the idea of a commander which was about something, something purposeful, and Samuel was now "officially" to be included in it.  In other words, what was to follow was extremely serious.

It reminded me of the time when Jesus came and "stood" before me.  It was weeks after our son had died, weeks of not knowing what was going on, not knowing where I was "headed," not "knowing," in so many ways, what had just happened.  But I think there was something in me which was in Samuel, a waiting spirit, a longing spirit, an open spirit to hear, indeed a desperation to hear what He was saying.  It was as though Jesus was saying to me, "Now, you are ready to get on, to get on with your walk in Me, serving Me, My Church, My Kingdom.  We can do this."

Our Lord Jesus is waiting on anyone who puts him/herself before Him in this way.  Samuel was very young and had really not been through anything.  I had just lost our oldest son.  Yet whatever your circumstance today, Jesus is speaking to you.  It may not be a call to be a great judge in Israel, some great "ministry," or such.  It is just the sound of His voice speaking, maybe whispering your name, "Come to Me...and I will give you restTake My yoke upon you and learn from Me,..and you will find rest...."  Is that not enough?!?  Yes, there was indeed a distinct purpose for Samuel in Jesus' call to him, and there is a "distinct" purpose for Jesus' call to you and me.  Most importantly, however, Jesus' call to everyone is expressed in the old hymn, "Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult of our life's wild, restless sea, day by day His clear voice soundeth, saying, 'Christian, follow me....'"

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that my friend and I will be as Samuel, so that You can always, "set or station," Yourself before us.  Amen.
************************
* Latest on German issues with Arab/Islamists at:   jhs58.blogspot.com
* Going to DC, Wednesday, May 18
* I have had some say that maybe October was not the time to go to Berlin.  I do not "sense" anything about this at this time.  We have paid for and received our airline tickets, but not our accommodations yet.  Please pray with us for a "demonstration" of today's text.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive