Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Step Out of The Shadows

"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselvesFor this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship....Those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sinsTherefore, when Christ came...." (Hebrews 10, NIV)

The word, "Therefore," means, "for that reason," or, "because of that."  Therefore, when Christ came...."  The Interlinear says that in the context of our text, the word implies that "two 'directions' are expressed, looking 'backward' ('because') to properly look forward ('therefore')."    "Therefore, when Christ came...."!!

This is the theme of the Ages.  Jesus is the great, "Therefore," of life.  Mankind cannot know God; "Therefore,..Christ came...."  I was lost, hopelessly lost in sin, "Therefore,... Christ...."  After the passing of Stephen, I was zombie-like; "For that reason,..Christ came."  It is the Truth of life.  When all hope is gone, when there is nothing left to say or do, "When darkness veils His lovely Face, I rest on His unchanging grace.  In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil."  "Therefore, when (since) Christ came...," I can now sing, "On Christ, the Solid Rock I stand...."
 
Galatians 3:24 says, "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ that we might be justified by faith."  And did we ever need a, "schoolmaster."  I have fond memories of many of my "schoolmasters."  They helped form me and guide me.  And I can say of the Biblical Law, the same is true, "O, how love I Thy Law."  In fact, it is a "trustworthy" statement to say that the purpose of the Bible is, "to bring us to Christ."

This seems too theological for today's generation.  I remember teaching in a Ywam DTS and the leaders finally did not invite me back.  The main reason?  I took the students through books of the Bible.  I did not attempt to entertain or "dumb down" the Bible.  One writer who has interviewed "some of the strongest teenage evangelicals-- those who were actively sharing their faith with unbelievers, 'We found that the faith [the teen evangelists] were trying to spread was, in fact, more akin to moralistic therapeutic deism than to historic Christianity.  Few of these youth evangelists could identify a single portion of the Bible as the basis of their faith in Christ."  The Barna Group found in a survey that "one pattern emerged loud and clear: young adults rarely possess a Biblical world view."  Of course, the reason is obvious; they don't read, believe, and obey the Bible.  I will keep repeating myself.  There is no substitute in life for, "Therefore, when Christ came...."  Only when Jesus and His Words are central to you and me can we step out of the shadows into the Reality.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I am so glad, so thankful that You have come to me in Jesus, my Brother, the One alone in Whom I can know You.  Amen.
**********************
* Heading for DC on Thursday, February 11.
* Please pray for our October, 2016 Berlin Mission

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive