Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 12, 2016

"Do Not...Neglect...."

"Remember the prisoners as if chained with them--those who are mistreated--since you yourselves are in the body also."  (Hebrews 13:3)

"Do not forget, or neglect," or do, "remind, mention."  In other words, keep the plight of those in prison for Jesus ever before the Church.  We have been supporting Brother Andrew since 1968 for this very purpose.  But it is more than sending a check.

Praying is always the greatest "work."  And along with faithful praying for the suffering, yet victorious Church, is the command to, "Do not...neglect."  That can mean many opportunities, yet all too many in Christendom do, "....forget/neglect."  Yesterday I was in the Helsinki Commission Hearing in Washington, DC.  It is also known as the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE); it was birthed after the revolutions in East Europe.  They are doing a good work, but commissions and committees and programs and money cannot change the heart of man.  The Word of God commands us to, "love your neighbor as yourself."  If humanity obeyed this command, we would not need "human rights" commissions.  But apparently you and I have the choice to obey or not.  Our text is another opportunity for you and me to walk in obedience to a command of Jesus.  I have learned over the years that there are many opportunities for you and me to change, "neglect," into real service.

This is not a mishandling of our text, but while I pray daily for, "....the prisoners as if chained with them," and, "those who are mistreated," for Jesus, I need always to remember that there are those in spiritual prison, dark depression, sadness, aloneness.  You may not feel this "prison," but many around you and me do.  Jesus said, "But I am among you as One Who serves."  May that "Christ-likeness" never fail to manifest in us.

Father, in Jesus' Name, lead me to someone who needs Your touch in me today.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive