Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 19, 2016

"In Him I Will Secure Myself"

"He who dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."  (Psalm 91:1, KJV)

Verse 2 then says, "I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him will I trust."  Do this, and there is nothing better to enable us to say, "Life is good."

The NIV says, "....will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."  The Interlinear says that the word which most translate as, "abide," means to, "lodge."  Think of that for a moment.  What does one do at a "lodge?"  He rests, "hangs out," sleeps, refreshes himself.  The word for, "dwells," contains a similar concept, "to sit, dwell, remain, inhabit."  This, my friend, is not a "vacation home."  Okay, so I wonder if we could translate our text this way:  "He who lodges and rests in the secret place of the Most High shall lodge and rest under the shadow of the Almighty."
O:-) 

In verse 2, the Jubilee Bible 2000 says, "in Him will I secure myself."  If you and I want to do something "for myself" there is no better endeavor.  You know that the number one desire of humanity is "security."  People want "job security," marriage security, property and savings security.  No one can guarantee such.  I cannot "secure" any of this because too many other people are involved.  I can, however, "secure myself," in Jesus, because He is the Guarantor of (excuse me here) Eternal Security.  

"....Under the Shadow of the Almighty...we are more than conquerors through/because of Him Who loved us."  Relocate myself and I am in grave danger.  "....Secure myself under the Shadow of the Almighty," Living Triune God in Jesus Christ and I can, "secure myself," in the reality of what the Word of God says later in the Psalm, "He will cover you....You will not fear....He will command His angels...to guard you in all your ways....I (our Lord Jesus) will be with [you] in trouble,..will deliver [you]...."  And never forget that this great promise of Him, "Who cannot lie," was sealed in His Blood, His Death, His Resurrection, and ascension.  Reservations for lodging are still open.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I choose no other "lodging."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive