Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Savior Born For You


"....for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:11, NASB, from yesterday's Gospel reading)

I have readers around the world.  It really, however, does not matter where one lives on Planet Earth.  The Good News of the Gospel is that, "....there has been born for you a Savior...."

As they say, "I had just enough Greek to be dangerous."  But there are wonderful helps available to us in these days.  The Greek word translated, "to," in the phrase, "to you," is a "possessive pronoun."  I know that "possessive" means, "mine;" hence, the Savior born is the Savior who Is mine, viz., "for you."  Jesus was born (revealed) for you and me, indeed, all humanity.  We have, then, the NASB, which most scholars claim to be the most "accurate" of the translations, translating today's text as, "For today...there has been born for you a Savior....

"....there has been born for you...."  Jesus was born (revealed) for you and me.  I know, "Okay, already; I get it."  Well, sometimes I am just as the song writer, "I scarce can take it in."  To us "lonely creatures, doubting the mastery even of our own existence," has come to us, "....a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord," or, "....a Savior, who is [the] Messiah, the Lord."  Jesus is Father's promised, "Coming One," the Anointed One.  What a glorious revelation!  "....there has been born FOR YOU...." 

For all the lonely, poor, suffering, desperate, sorrowing in the world, bound by his Satanic majesty, "the Prince of darkness grim," we have the "Good News" of the Gospel, "....there has been born for you a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."  I know some do not appreciate "the creeds," but I do.  Let me share from an ancient one, which declares of Jesus, "King of kings, and Lord of lords":
"We believe...in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God,... God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven and,...was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate.  He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scripture, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father."  And He did this all, "for you," my friend.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I say that I am overwhelmed that You included me in, "....there has been born for you a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."  Amen.
         
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive