Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I Celebrate the Birth of "A Good Person"

"A good person leaves an inheritance for their children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous."  (Proverbs 13:22)

Edna Elizabeth Sherwood Barnette left me Jesus, His Church and Kingdom.  She prayed for me every morning of my life until her journey here ended.  There is no price one can put on that.  Edna Barnette defined, "a good person."  Everyone I knew who knew her loved her and spoke nothing but "praise" of her, from my Dad, siblings, to, well, the rest.  If there is a "genetic" disposal to common sense, whatever I have of it was surely passed on from her.

My Mom would have been 107 today.  From my Grandparents and Dad to her, "I have a goodly heritage," and so do our children and their children.  I see "traces" of her in them all.  "A good person," does not do what everyone wants, does not praise the un-praiseworthy, does not tell us we are doing fine when we are not, but is a support and encourager to those around them, supporting and encouraging the "good" in others, the "potential," while dissuading others from that which will harm them.  In short, to others, "a good person," is a manifestation of the presence of Jesus and His Words.  I have often spoke of the lives which my Grandpa and Dad affected for Jesus.  She has many "crowns" also.

"A good person," does good things to others.  An evil person does evil to others.  Jesus said that in the judgment all humanity will be judged by doing good or doing evil, "....those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation" (John 5:29).  Now of course, Mom was "born of the Spirit."  But she didn't go around mouthing it or the "Roman Road," or other evangelical phrases which, even though Biblical, have become an alternative for far, far too many as the "ticket" to Heaven, and being, "a good person," as some sort of rejected work.  What idiocy. 

Today's text speaks of, "a good person."  I let that up to our Lord Jesus to define, and pray sincerely that I am one.

Father, in Jesus' Name, "a good person," before You is what I want to be.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive