Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, October 23, 2015

"The Time of Business...Does Not...Differ From the Time of Prayer" (Brother Lawrence)


"Command Aaron and his sons, saying, 'This is the law of the burnt offering: The burnt offering shall be on the hearth upon the altar all night until morning, and the fire of the altar shall be kept burning on it.'" (Leviticus 6:9)

"In the noise and clutter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquillity as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Supper" (Brother Lawrence).

In the classic, The Practice of the Presence of God, there are the words of Brother Lawrence and a "conversations" section.  Here are some quotes from the "conversations" section of the book: "He said he was more united to God in his outward employments (his work) than when he left them for devotion ('Presence' Gatherings) in retirement (quiet time)."  Brother Lawrence said, "We need only to recognize God intimately present with us and address ourselves to Him every moment."  The writer goes on, "The most excellent method he had found for going to God was that of doing our common business....Brother Lawrence felt is was a great delusion to think that the times of prayer ought to differ from other times....His own prayer was nothing else but a sense of the presence of God....When the appointed times of prayer were past, he found no difference, because he still continued with God, praising and blessing Him with all his might....He exercised himself in the knowledge and love of God, resolving to use his utmost endeavor to live in a continual sense of His Presence, and, if possible, never to forget Him more."

Brother Lawrence would pray, "O my God, since Thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy Presence; and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance."  His interviewer wrote, "He then continued his exercise of the Presence of God as if he had never deviated from it."  Jesus clearly defines all of the above in His Words, "Abide in me, and I in you."  This is what Jesus intended for Him and Adam.  We blew it, but Jesus restored "Garden Fellowship" in His Blood, in His Cross, in His Resurrection.  ENJOY.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray in agreement with Brother Lawrence.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive