Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, October 19, 2015

"My Beloved--A Beloved Brother"

"Greet Amplias, my beloved in the LordGreet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys my beloved....I thank my God upon every remembrance of you....Tychicus, a beloved brother, faithful minister, and fellow servant in the Lord, will tell you all the news about me....affectionately longing for you..." (From Romans 16, Philippians 1, Colossians 4, 1 Thessalonians 2)

I have always noted the greetings and the closing salutations of the Epistles.  There is nothing of man-made religion in them.  They are personal, warm, and reveal deep friendships.  Is this characteristic of the Church today, of you, of me?

We were with friends and their church over the weekend whom we have known for almost 45 years.  They are still as fresh and refreshing as they were when we first met them.  This is true in our lives with all those whom we still see from time to time, and have been our friends for many years.  Maybe if friendships are to last, they need to involve intentionality, viz., effort, especially in these days of relocations which can involve great distances.  Some say this is true even with marriages and family.

The same is true in our relationship with/in Jesus.  It has always seemed to me that if a relationship requires discipline to maintain, or an intentionality, it means that the relationship is not all that "close"------ or maybe not.  Our Lord Jesus speaks to us of, "The cares of this life," which can choke the Word.  It can also "choke" friendships.  Maybe we need to be as Abraham, "And when the vultures came down on the [sacrifice], Abram drove them away."  Both, our relationship in Jesus and friends/brethren need this "protection."  Indeed, "the vultures," will come down to devour, whether they be in the form of selfishness, which is disguised in "busyness," or just lazy neglect, whomever is of worth to us.  One of the lessons of Paul's many "greetings" in his epistles is that you and I have Brethren in Christ whom the Lord Jesus has also given to us as friends.  The world knows so little of what true friendship is.  Do you and I?

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to be a good, "beloved brother...and fellow servant in [You.]:  Amen.
***********************
I sent a most disturbing photo to our Blog:   jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive