Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"The Fire" Of Relationship "Must Be Kept Burning"

"The fire on the altar must be kept burning; it must not go out....The fire must be kept burning on the altar continuously; it must not go out." (Leviticus 6)

By the way, this is not some wild-eyed pentecostalism, or whooping and hollering "worship."  Neither is this primarily 24/7 "prayer watches," or "houses of prayer," though I think they are certainly included.  To me this speaks of The Church, "gathered," and "scattered," corporate and individual.  The Theology of, "Christ in you," in Colossians is both "plural" and "singular."  We really cannot separate the individual and the Church.  The Church is the Body of Christ, period.  I never leave "church"---------- nor "Presence."

I will be preaching in our local church meeting this coming Sunday.  I plan to use our text.  I have been having a lot of fun with it, yes, fun.  When Jesus' Word gets through this old flesh, it is a marvelous experience, worshipful, intercessorial, "happy place."  The reason?  "A fire shall always be burning," is commensurate with Jesus' command, and, I might add, purpose/desire for you and me, "Abide in Me, and I in you."  My friend, that is, "The fire [which] must be kept burning." Some "Calvinist" notwithstanding, apparently, "The fire," can go out.  

Never let, "the fire," of our relationship in Jesus go out, "A fire shall always be burning."  This is very similar to what Paul told Timothy, "Fan into flame," literally, "Stir up the fire," which is in you...." (2Tim:1:6).  A lot of people have their ideas on what, "the fire," is.  Personally, I believe it is our relationship in Jesus.  Of course, integral to our relationship in Jesus is the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.  Whatever the "particulars," it is abiding-in-the-Godhead relationship, living, sleeping.

This, "fire must be kept burning," this, "Abide in Me, and I in you," Biblical/Kingdom "Principle" is foundational/paramount in our sojourn here.  When, "the fire," is ebbing and in danger of, "go[ing] out," then it is priority One to, "Stir up the fire."  So there are two life-saving commands here in the, "God-Breathed," Words, "The fire must be kept burning," and if the "flame" is getting low, "Fan into flame--Stir up the fire."  Two fundamental "means of grace" must prevail here: Praying in our spirits in the Holy Spirit and the Scripture.  No matter how zealous, no matter how many mission trips, no matter if I give everything to the poor, if I allow the Words of God and, "He shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire," to go out, "it profits me nothing."  
"IT MUST NO GO OUT."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I do not know the fullest extent of the meaning here.  But I do want the Reality of it.  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive