Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 18, 2015

"Long Term Treatment"

"....but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God....And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power." (1 Corinthians)

I received a text a few minutes ago, "Jodie is declining fast.  They are telling the kids today."  What is most interesting is that I had just read our text before the text about Jodie arrived.  "....Words of human wisdom," do absolutely no good at this time.  And you might as well forget "grief counseling."  What is needed is, "Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." 

One of the most common outcomes of loosing someone close to us is depression.
  A "tropical depression" is defined as "the first stage in the development of a possible hurricane."  This is also true of emotional and spiritual depression.  When we speak of a "depression" in the ground, we speak of something which is lower than the surrounding terrain.  This is also a description of a person suffering from depression.  Mayo Clinic says, "Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest....It affects how you feel, think and behave and can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems.  You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and depression may make you feel as if life isn't worth living....Depression isn't...something that you can simply "snap out' of.  Depression may require long-term treatment."  Most of the above is a description of me during the summer of '70.  But after some weeks of the above description, Jesus "stood" before me.  If you have read my devotionals over the years, you know what happened then.  Jesus took me immediately "into" Himself, His Words, The Comforter, and as I read and He imparted His Words, I can truly say, "The Lord [Jesus] is the Strength of my life."  Since June 12, 1970, I have been receiving "long term treatment."

How well I remember that "moment" when I saw Stephen "declining fast."  No "power," no philosophy, no pundits' _____ can help in such moments.  Jesus does, because Jesus is, "the power of God and the wisdom of God."  Does that mean I "understand" any more than others?  No, well, maybe a little more than the scoffers, than those who reject such a Wonderful Savior.  But it is, "the power of God," Who is Jesus Christ, which I needed in that "moment," and the millions of moments since.  No speculations and talk of man can do anything.  I did not and do not need talk.  I did, and still do, however, need, "the power of God."  This, "power," is not some vague "force" or drug.  "The power of God," is a person, The Person, Jesus.
  People who do not have Jesus Christ, and whom Jesus does not "have," are people who at such a time are in reality "on their own."  I am so thankful that I am not my own. 

Father , in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are my "Long Term Treatment."  Amen.
******************


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive