Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

You, "Shall Know Whose Words Will Stand, Mine or [Yours]"

"The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect." (Psalm 33:10)

I have written many times about the Lord doing this with, "the nations," and, "the peoples."  The thought occurred to me today, however, that He also does this with you and me.

How many times in my life our Lord Jesus, "brings the counsel...to nothing"?-- and indeed, we should be very, very thankful for this.  There have been too many times when we were our own "counselor."  We knew best; we even prayed that our "counsel" would prevail, aka, get our own way.  I repeat again what Brother Charles Simpson once said, "The only thing worse than God not giving us our way, is when God gives us our way."

Today there are still hours left in this day for us to decide which counsel we will submit to.  Jesus told the Jews in Jeremiah's day, "The Lord has said concerning you, O remnant of Judah, 'Do not go to Egypt!'  Know certainly that I have admonished you this dayFor you were hypocrites in your hearts when you sent me to the Lord your God saying, 'Pray for us to the Lord our God, and according to all that the Lord your God says, so declare to us and we will do it.'  And I have this day declared it to you, but you have not obeyed the voice of the Lord your God, or anything which he has sent you by me."  History records that they did indeed go to Egypt.  If you read Jeremiah 42-44, you will see just what all happened to those who followed their own "counsel" instead of God's."  God then sums up the whole issue, "Then the whole remnant of Judah who came to live in Egypt will know whose word will stand-- Mine or theirs" (NIV).

There is much "counsel" in the world today as then, as always.  Adam and Eve took the wrong "counsel."  You and I have taken wrong "counsel" in our life time.  You and I need to determine every day, moment by moment in the day, to remember and walk in, "....know whose word will stand--- Mine or theirs."  You know now what I am going to write.  There is just no counsel that can or will stand against the counsel of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that counsel is His Very Words.  The great "competition" in the "game of life" is between, "the counsel of the nations"---"the plans of the peoples...," and That of our Lord Jesus.  "Choose you this day whom you will serve." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess that I have followed too much "counsel" apart from Yours.  Holy Spirit, I pray You constantly convict me of right "counsel."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive