Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"I Am Coming Quickly...To Give...According to...Work"

"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with me, to give to every one according to his work."  (Revelation 22:12)

Evangelical/charisma is so concerned with "justification by faith alone" that it has over the generations made very little emphasis on works.  I have had some attacks over the years in pastoral ministry with some of those fanatics, people who are a part of a group which checks the "shibboleth" of their own "tribe."  Such people want the, "My reward," but do not want, "according to...work."

The challenge for us in the coming year is to examine ourselves, "according to [our] work."  Salvation by faith means salvation by obedience, not salvation by, "now repeat after me," or just "declare."  As we close another quarter, close another year in our time/space existence, I pray that you and I give ourselves to the words of Jesus and not our historic "shibboleth."  Our reward, Who is Jesus Christ, is promising us, "I am coming quickly." 

Maybe there is a very real sense in which there is an, "I am coming quickly," now, a "fellowship" in Jesus which we can know now, in this very moment, a fellowship, an intimacy which is to those who live not just by declaring, but by what 1 Thessalonians 1:3 calls, "the work of faith," a faith which is,"according to his work."

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for Your Words which keep me from me, and keep me in You.  Amen.  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive