Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"It Was A Dark And Stormy Night"

"When my anxious thoughts multiply ('are many') within me, Your consolations (comforts) delight my soul." (Psalm 94:19, NASB)

"It was a dark and stormy night"---- well, at least it was a dark night.  I had crossed into East Germany at Check Point Alpha and drove through East Germany to the Check Point Bravo crossing from East Germany into West Berlin.  My car had been giving me some trouble, and as I was cleared through the check point, it wouldn't start.  An East German border guard helped me push it to a point where there was a little grade.  I coasted it for a short distance; it finally started.  They told me at a repair shop in West Berlin that it would take about a week to repair.  I had planned to stay a couple of days in West Berlin, but not a whole week.  Moreover, I was supposed to be in Krakow, Poland in a couple of days.  This all occurred before I ever had a cell phone or computer.  Besides, it would not have done any good.  My friend in Poland also had neither.  Now what?

After a week went by, and as I was driving across East Germany to the Polish Border, I read our text (I know, not a good idea, but I used to also read maps while driving-- don't tell anybody).  Now I didn't know what my friend would be thinking; had I forgotten our plans; had I had a change in plans; what?  There were some, "anxious thoughts."  But then I thought of, "Your consolations," I thought of the time at the Leningrad Airport earlier that year when they caught me with Bibles, the two hours held in a room by myself before any officer came, not knowing if they would let me go, or perhaps make an example of me and send me to Siberia.  It may all sound silly to some, but it is not a silly thought when the KGB had you.  In that room, as I thought of my family back home, Jesus, our Peace, was my Peace; His, "comforts delight[ed] my soul."

What, "anxious thoughts multiply within," you today?  There are no, "consolations," as is Jesus Christ, His Very Presence within us, His Words, "breathed," in and through us.  And remember also His much faithfulness to you over the years, the times you thought there was no way through or out of peril.  When we dwell on the many, "consolations," of our Lord Jesus Christ, nothing but, "delight my soul," can follow.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I think that eternity will not suffice to give You the thanks I owe and You deserve.  Amen.
**********************
Why not plan to meet up with me in DC on Saturday, September 20, to participate in "David's Tent"?

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive