Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, March 13, 2014

What Would Life Be Like, "If You Knew the Gift of God"?

"Jesus answered and said, 'If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, "Give Me a drink," 'you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.'"  (John 4:10)

Because the woman did not recognize, "the gift of God," she almost missed the, "Living Water."

The problem with most people is that they don't know, "the gift of God, and who it is who," invites them to Himself.  This is what Jesus is saying in our text.  Jesus was telling all of us that He is, "the gift of God," and all our need, metaphorically referred to here as, "living water," is in Himself.  Everywhere Jesus was during those 33 years in The Land, He was, as the Proverb says of the Word of God, "life to those who found [Him]."  His Presence, His very Person was/is, "living water."  The problem is stated earlier in John's Gospel, "He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him."  Today I wondered, "I am, 'His own.'  Do I know, 'the Gift,' I have?"

What is it today that you and I do not "know" about our Gift, Jesus?  What impoverishment is mine just because I don't, "know the gift of God"?  We cannot arrogantly say that it was only the Jews who were, "His own, and...did not receive Him."  I suggest that there are perhaps more times than we would care to admit that Jesus comes, "to His own," i.e., you and Me, "and His own did not receive Him," we do not recognize our need in that moment, or we are too focused on the problem and engulfed in the situation to such a degree that we just do not, "know the gift of God"; hence, we walked away from, "the gift of God," and in that moment we find ourselves very "thirsty."  

I can hear Jesus saying of those times, "O, 'If you [only] knew the gift of God,..(how I am always with and in you, but you at times do not realize it) you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.'"  May our Lord help us in these days to recognize Jesus, "[our] living water," in situations where we have failed in the past to recognize, "the Gift of God."  

Father, in Jesus' Name, I know there have been too many times when I did not recognize, "the gift of God," in a particular situation.  Holy Spirit, keep me ever mindful.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive