Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 10, 2014

"I Have No Answer"

"Can you bind the chains of the PleiadesCan you loosen Orion's beltCan you bring forth the constellations in their seasons...?  Do you know the laws of the heavens?"  (From Job 38:32-33, NIV)

Obviously, Job could not and did not. 

Our text is the response of the Living Triune God to Job after what could have been days of speculation, questions, and arguing with his friends.  Every quarter I go through Job I am amazed with how nothing has changed in the human heart ever since this "seminar" called The Book of Job took place.  Fundamentally, the issue before Job and company was questions.  Through all the theologizing, accusations, justifications, it was questions which stumped them all.  Not one of the four accusers in this "seminar," however, ever took the attitude of Snoopy, when he said that the perfect title for a book on theology would be, "Has It Ever Occurred to You That You May Be Wrong?"  Each one was a classic "know-it-all."  They would have eagerly volunteered for the program, "Ask the pastor."

The reason people allow "questions" to stand between them and Jesus Christ, is that they don't really want answers.  Furthermore, people don't "believe in God" because they don't want to believe in God.  Once when disciples began to leave Jesus, He said to them, "Will you also go away?"  Now why did the people, "go away"?  Simple.  "This is a hard saying; who can understand it."  Many today are also such.  If life goes beyond their comprehension, or their scientific "knowledge," or their ambitions, they want nothing to do with it.  Then, as now, people want a "god" whom they can "understand," which is just code for, one whom they can control, one who won't radically change what they want from life. 

You and I know that life is full of unanswerables.  How we react to them, will determine victory or defeat.  When God challenged Job with His questions, Job revealed who he really was, "I am unworthy-- how can I reply to YouI put my hand over my mouth I spoke once, but I have no answer-- twice but I will say no more."  Sometimes it's good to just do as David did, "sat before the Lord."

Father, in Jesus' Name, again I say as the song writer, "I need no other argument."  I need only You.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive