Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 23, 2014

"....As A Hen Gathers Her Chicks Under Her Wings...."

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings...." (Matthew 23:37, NIV)

Two things came to me this morning.  While praying, I said to our Triune God, Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit just how dependent I am on Him.  Then I thought, Everyone who has ever lived on Planet Earth has been and is totally dependent on Him in Jesus.  As the Bible says, "The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn (literally, "Preeminent One") over all creationFor in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for HimHe is before all things and in Him all things hold together."
  The hymn writer said, "I Need Jesus."  I wonder if he and we realize just how "much."

Later, when I read today's Gospel reading, our text, it occurred to me that Jesus "feels" this way not only about Jerusalem and the Jews, but also about you and me and all humanity.  I have no doubt that our Lord Jesus Christ is right now saying to every person, people group, tribe and tongue, "[Humanity, America, North Korea, Congo, Columbia, Iran], you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing Look your house is left to you desolateFor I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"  There is no doubt that Jesus is revealing in this cry not only how much He loves us and cares for us, but the implication of the very real fact that we need Him.  Out from under His, "wings," we are nothing but a doomed species.

What love and compassion and Family and provision for everyone do we have in Jesus Christ.  The Bible tells us that He is, "no respecter of persons," that, "this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son [Jesus], that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  The Living Triune God, Great Provider, Great Protector, "underneath are the everlasting arms," has great loving and powerful, "wings."

Father, in Jesus Name, May I never ever resist Your "gathering."  Amen.
**************************
*    Planning the 2014 Bosnia/Berlin Mission for May
*    Al Qaeda Makes Attempt on US Embassy in Jerusalem:   jhs58.blogspot.com
*    Will also have some video from the North Korea Mission tonight at briefing    

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive