Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Proverbs 30


"Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him."  (Proverbs 30:5)

The Jerusalem Bible says, "Every word of God is unalloyed," i.e., it is not a mixture; it is pure, absolutely pure.  There is no "man stuff" in there, no compromise for political correctness, no favoritism to Jew or Gentile, male or female, rich or poor; all such favoritism is man's pathetic attempt to make the Bible acceptable to every person on the planet.  This has never happened; this never will happen.  It is like people who negotiate with people whose charter it is to destroy them; it's their life commitment and work.  Any attempt to keep negotiating with them will inevitably lead to destruction.

The next verse warns, "Do not add to His words...."  When I was younger, I did not, "add to His words," as much as I neglected His words.  I don't think one is worse or better than the other.  My very neglect of His Words was an, "add[ing] to His words."  I read some portions of the Bible quite regularly, but ignored many others.  I was adding my self- sufficiency, adding my "understanding" of how to conduct my life in this earthly pilgrimage, when only the, "Every word of God is pure," can do that.

During the Nuremberg Trials which began in late 1945, the oath which was given to the defendants went something like this:  "I swear by God, the Almighty and Omniscient, that I will speak the pure truth and withhold and add nothing."  I would like to renew such commitment in this moment to, "The Word of God," Jesus Christ, and His Words.

Father, in Jesus' Name, my heart's desire in regard to my serving You is "that I will speak the pure truth and withhold and add nothing."  Amen.
*******************
You can read an Israeli political example of this at: jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive