Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 2, 2013

Biblical Faith: "He...Obeyed.., Not Knowing Where He Was Going"

"For what does the Scripture say?  'Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness'....By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out.., not knowing where he was going."  (Romans 4:3; Hebrews 11:8)

The first part of our text does not say that Abraham said he, "believed God."  It says, "Abraham believed God."  How do we know this?  The second part tells us.  He ordered his life by doing what God told him to do.  The word for, "believed," in our text means, "to support, confirm, be faithful, uphold, nourish."  These are all verbs, as is, "By faith Abraham...obeyed."  A faith which is "profession" without obedience is no faith at all. 

In correct Biblical Theology, when we read that somebody, "believed God," it means somebody did something.  All one has to do is read Hebrews 11 to discover what is Biblical Faith, "By faith," they all did something, not said something.  I can say, "I believe, I believe," all I wish, but that statement means absolutely nothing without obedience.  "Now faith is the...evidence," i.e., "plainly visible, something indicative, an outward sign."  A "sinner's prayer" is only valid if the sinner obeys.

Our text is plainly telling us that the life in Jesus Christ begins with, "believed God," and, "By faith...obeyed."  To illustrate this, our Lord Jesus Christ gave us a parable about two sons who were told to do something.  One said he would not, but later did.  The other said he would, but never did.  Jesus then asked those around Him, "Which of the two did the will of his father?"  They responded, "The first."  Maybe if more people read the Bible and actually studied His Words, we would have a Bible Christianity, a Bible Faith, a Bible Church.

There is great appeal in a religion of talk, "I believe, I believe.  Okay, you are now going to Heaven."  It may have its appeal, but it is deceptive foolishness.  Now I know this is not a "Spurgeon-type" devotional, and I hope you will forgive the prophetic theologian in me, but I know you are as I.  We do not want deceptive religion, something which "feels good" to our unregenerate sensibilities, but does not bring us into, "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ," i.e., the same relationship which Abraham found, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to ('credited to him') him for righteousness."  You and I desire the righteousness of Jesus Christ to be, "accounted to, credited to," us.  There is no other life worth man's religious expenditure. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray You can say of me, "By faith [I] obeyed."  Amen.
********************
Please say a prayer for Sarah and me as we travel to West Ohio and Michigan over the next week.  Sunday, we will be with the Renewed Strength Church in Westville, Ohio, sharing about the North Korea Mission.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive