Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Still Learning

"All things I am strong for in the One Who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Greek Interlinear)

The context is interesting because it reveals that the provision of our Lord Jesus Christ is so integrally related to His Church, "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content...."  Here we see a great principle for our walk in Christ Jesus and His Church.  The word for, "content," in one sense means, "self-sufficient."  It is that sufficiency which is in Jesus, and because we are in Jesus and He is us, we can then speak of, "self-sufficiency."  The adjectival form means, "content in the sense of being satisfied because living in God's content (fulness).  This inward sufficiency is as valid in 'low times'...as in 'high times.'"  And who cannot identify with "low times" and "high times."  But the, "care for me," came through the Church at Philippi.  Sarah and I have been living in this principle for over 48 years; I, for 69+ years. 

I shared this a long time ago, but it bears repeating because of today's devotional.  In our first parish, Sarah and I had a salary of around $330.00 per month.  Because of a realignment of charges in late 1966, we lost two of our smallest congregations which accounted for about one third of our monthly salary.  It was a bureaucratic oversight I'm sure, but nothing was done or said about our loss of the salary.  Now I could have contacted our Conference Superintendent, but for some "reason" we didn't panic.  At the same time, I had been a part of a local Christian Businessmen prayer group which met on Saturday mornings at 07:00.  The manger of the local J. C. Penny's came up to me the next week after we lost the salary from the two congregations and gave me a check for $30.00.  Each Saturday morning for the next 5 months he gave me a $30.00 check, which more than covered what we had lost.  "I don't know why I am doing this," he said, "but I will continue to do this as long as the Lord says."  Five months later the denomination added another congregation which paid more than what we has lost.  The following Saturday, after the new addition to the charge, the Penny's manager came up to me and said, "Well, it's over, isn't it?"  We shall never forget, how the Lord Jesus Christ wrote on our hearts, "All things I am strong for in the One Who strengthens me."

Furthermore, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content," because the Lord our Contentment, our All Sufficient One, has proven, "This inward sufficiency is as valid in 'low times'...as in 'high times.'"  It was not, however, in some "vacuum."  It was through the faithfulness of Brother Fletcher that our Lord Jesus Christ provided for this young pastor's family, who was buying a car, paying parsonage utilities, paying college tuition and books, travel, groceries, etc.  "Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horseAnd he who sat on him was called Faithful and True"-------------------- "I have learned."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I have no reason whatsoever to doubt You.  Thank You again and again.  Amen.
*********************
We have had a cancellation for the "David's Tent."  If you are interested, there is still room.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive