Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 3, 2012

"Meditations on the Excellencies" of His Excellency

"I will praise You with uprightness of heart, when I learn Your righteous judgments." (Psalm 119:7)

The title for Psalm 119 from the online Bible I am using today is:  "Meditations on the Excellencies of the Word of God."  Can't improve on that.  I pray our little "meditations" will be a blessing, strength, and break through for you.

The word translated in our text, "learn," is translated in another text as, "accept."  I have often said that Biblical faith, belief, obedience starts with an acceptance of, "the Words of God," recorded in our text as, "Your righteous judgments."  For far too many people the whole concept of faith, belief, etc., is a mental strain, a sort of spiritual "bearing down," as in child birth.  If I just strain, bear down, push hard enough, maybe some sort of "faith" will come.  No.  If I just start with, "when I accept Your righteous judgments," aka, "The Word of God," Jesus Christ, and everything He says, i.e., The Bible, faith and belief must follow.

Can I encourage you today to relax and, "learn, accept"?  As our Lord Jesus Christ says, "Take My yoke upon you and learn (one variation of the Greek word here means "learn from use and practice") from Me,..and you will find rest for your souls."  When we, "learn from [Jesus]," then we will be able to, "praise You (The Blessed Trinity) with uprightness of heart....This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil."  Excuse me, GLORY!  

Father, in Jesus' Name, "I accept Your righteous judgments."  Amen.
***************
* Taking reservations for September 26 participation in the "David's Tent" gathering just outside the South Lawn of the White House.  Let us know if you will go so that we can secure adequate transportation.
* Sarah and I at the David's Tent gathering, October 28 to November 5
* Dinner meeting in Grand Rapids, MI., with Eric Metaxas, author of, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet, Martyr, Spy, October 24.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive