Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"And My Life"

"I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak.  And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Acts 20:35)

As far as I can tell, we have no record in the Gospels that Jesus said this.  But we do know that our Lord Jesus spoke to Paul in other scenarios.  

The United States of America is making the same mistake as most of Europe, spending more money than it has.  The main reason for this is that unprincipled politicians know humanity is basically a "palms up" species, i.e., always wanting to receive while reluctant to give.  Most people who receive from the US Government give nothing to the US Government! 

Our text runs across the grain of human thinking and action.  Even most church-goers attend meetings to receive rather than to give.  This is the main reason for "church hoping."  I wonder what a day would be like if just Followers of Jesus woke up with the prayer, "What can I give today," rather than, "What can I get today?!?"

This is probably the reason so many church-goers do not tithe.  Tithe is giving; offerings are giving.  I could tell you testimony after testimony affirming from our experience the, "more blessed to give than to receive."  Some people think this verse speaks of feelings; "Oh, it feels so good to give."  Well, if that is the reason people give, it is little wonder that so few people are consistent givers.

Don't let feelings rule your obedience to Jesus Christ and His Law-Words.  There is a lot of good done in the world which does not have the accompanying, "Oh it's such a great feeling to give."  And giving is not just a financial thing; giving is a life thing.  I call your attention to the "signature" I use below.  When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess that it is easier to give money than "my life."  But I press in to be a total "and-my-life" servant.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive