Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, December 12, 2011

None Is Without the Need of Mercy

"Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me; fighting all day he oppresses me." (Psalm 56:1)

This is not only "a Michtam of David when the Philistines captured him in Gath."  It is a Psalm for all who have suffered oppression of any kind from any one or any government. 

I went through Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem to the victims of the attempted German state sponsored genocide of the Jews.  I saw a video testimony of a Jew who through it all, even in the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp, found joy and peace in the verses of the Torah.  Somehow I think if God's mercy could extend in such hellishness, surely the mercy of our Lord can extend to you and me-------- in anything.     

There are Followers of Jesus Christ whom I have known over the years who have been oppressed by family members, employers, people over them in the work place, even religious leaders.  Whether an oppression seems small or great to others, to the oppressed it is no small thing.  Oppression can lead to depression, health issues, and just an overall discouraging life.  But David knew the source of deliverance, "Be merciful to me, O God..."  History reveals that deliverance from, "man [who] would swallow me," does not always mean getting away from such.  Millions of Followers of Jesus over the centuries have lived and died under oppression.  Yet in the midst of it all, there was He Who alone is Mercy, Jesus Christ.  

May you or someone you know is experiencing, "....Fighting all day he oppresses me."  Call out, "Be merciful to me, O God...."  Now to the super spiritual, this is just too simple a prayer.  But I would rather be a part of David's lineage than theirs.  Jesus Christ is merciful; He has always been merciful, and always will be to the end of days. 
"Therefore, since we do hold and engage in this ministry by the mercy of God [granting us favor, benefits, opportunities, and especially salvation], we do not get discouraged (spiritless and despondent with fear) or become faint with weariness and exhaustion." (2 Corinthians 4:1, Amplified Bible)

Father, in Jesus' Name, Your, "mercies are new every morning."  I ask for and thank you for today's needed mercy.  Amen.
*************
Today's Unreached Peoples: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com
Newyt Got It Right: www.apf327.blogspot.com  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive