Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Forgetting," Is Not What Most Think

"....One thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Fr. Philippians 3:13, 14)

Notice in Whom is, "the upward call of God."  This wonderful, "upward call," is in none other, and in nothing other than, "in Christ Jesus." 

Our text today is a favorite of preachers this time of year.  Paul was stating his life's philosophy; whatever he had achieved by his own energy and efforts was in the past and needed to be put in the, "forgetting," file.  One must always remember, however, that our minds are like computers; they retain data entered.  As with computers, this data can be "good" and it can be "bad," and what we do with that data will affect the coming year, indeed, our coming lives.

There are things which I need to retain and things which I need to "forget."  But the word for, "forgetting," in our text is not what it may seem.  We really don't "forget" things, at least the things which have greatly affected our lives.  One of the main problems in interpersonal and international relationships is directly related to "unforgetfulness."  Yet what I can gather from the Greek word for, "forgetting," it fundamentally means "to neglect, to lose out of mind."  This, my friend, is a conscious decision, difficult though it may be. 

This coming year will be one of victory or defeat, depending on our ability and/or willingness "to lose out of mind, to neglect" all our self-willed achievements and the offenses of others.  Jesus Christ made this possible in what He finished, "in His Cross,"
    "My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought,  
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul."
Now what more or less can I do with my own past as well as the past of all those in my life?!?  "Put it behind you" is a common phrase, and this is exactly what the Holy Spirit, through the former Pharisee, is saying to you and me for the coming year.  God put our life of sin "behind" Him, and in Him we can do the same.  The thoughts will come back, some times horrible, depressing, haunting thoughts, but in Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit you and I can "neglect" them and lose [them] out of mind."  

Father, in Jesus' Name, I choose to "lose out of mind, to neglect" all that is not of You in my life.  Amen.
***********************
Read of Poland's Conversion on the "Jewish Question:" www.apf327.blogspot.com
Unreached Peoples of the Day: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive