Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 25, 2011

50 Years-- "Oh, How Sweet the Path"

"....His divine power has granted to us...that..you may become partakers of the divine nature...." (2 Peter 1:3 & 4, NASB)

50 years ago tonight at 24:00hrs, I knelt beside my bed and "officially" surrendered my life to Jesus Christ to become a pastor.  Little did I know on my knees that Friday, August night what the ensuing 50 years would bring.  Tomorrow evening is also the 50th reunion of my high school graduating class. 

50 years ago the terms "prophetic" and "intercessor" were little known to me; so was "Bible smuggling" and "Underground Seminary."  While I have been (and still consider myself to be) a pastor for over 47 years, my MO greatly expanded during those years.  I can honestly say that the "expansion" of the call was not a conscious decision.  The best way to describe this 50 year pilgrimage of following Jesus is found in John 12:26, "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also." 

The Greek word translated in our text, "partakers," is, "koinonos," the masculine form of, "koinonia" (feminine) which is most commonly translated, "fellowship."  The masculine form means "properly, a participant who mutually belongs and shares fellowship; a 'joint-participant.'"  The Message says it is our, "participation in the life of God."  Over the last 50 years, indeed, from that moment when I first surrendered my life to Jesus Christ, I have been "a participant who mutually belongs and shares fellowship; a 'joint-participant'" with all the saints of the ages who share, "participation in the life of God."
"What a fellowship, what a joy divine
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms
"....Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms'
Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms

"Leaning on Jesus, Leaning on Jesus,
Safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning on Jesus, leaning on Jesus,
Leaning on the everlasting arms."


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive