Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, May 20, 2011

"I Will Give Them a Heart to Know Me" (God)

"When [Saul] turned his back to leave Samuel, God gave him another heart.  And all these signs came to pass that day." (1 Samuel 10:9)

This is exactly what David had, "another heart-- God's Heart."  I have pointed out before what a Messianic Jew once said about the passage we often quote that David, "was a man after God's own heart." It is better translated, "David had God's Heart"---- a much, much better scenario.  In fact this translation is totally aligned with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Who is not only with us but in us.  All Which/Who is Jesus Christ is in all which/who is the Obedient Follower of Jesus.  We really have no excuse for all the unbelief, sin, and turmoil in the Church.

I won't get into the "predestination" thing.  But I don't believe Saul was "destined" to disobey, any more than you and I could say such.  Yet over the years I have heard some who call themselves Christian say, and even some traditions have a theology excusing sin by asserting, "Well, I really had no choice; I couldn't help myself.  God knows and forgives."  I would certainly not take a chance on that.

The New Birth brings you and me, "another heart," another Authority, another life style, viz., a life of obedience to Jesus Christ and His "Law-Word."  In Jesus Christ you and I have a "higher calling," what William Law described in his work, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life: Adapted to the State and Condition of All Orders of Christians.  I am so very thankful for a Dad who read and passed on to me some such great works in Church History.  The modern Church would be well advised to dust them off.  I don't want to excuse my sin or even have them "passed over."  I want them eradicated, and eradicated they were in the Blood of Jesus, the Body of Jesus, in the Cross of Jesus.  "We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?" !

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You for, "another heart," Your Heart.  Help me, Holy Spirit, to protect Your new heart in me.  Amen.
*****************

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive