Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, May 16, 2011

"If The LORD is With Us, Why...?"

"'Pardon me, my lord,' Gideon replied, 'but if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us?  Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about....?'" (Judges 6:13a, NIV)

As the saying goes, "If I had a nickel for every time a person said this, I would be a very wealthy man."  When tragedy or anything which seems against us comes our way, this is the inevitable question, "If the Lord is with us, why...?"  Now pastors and counselors have a tendency to attempt "comforting" answers, but some times the answers are not comforting-------------- if there are any at all.

Yet "answers" or not to "Why has all this happened to us?"-- the real question is, What do we do when this seeming paradox arises in our lives?  Some enter "confusion;" some battle with "the faith;" some succumb to, "Well, I guess I deserve this;" some blame others; some families allow it to destroy them; some churches close their doors; and perhaps the worse, some just quit, give up on the Lord Jesus Christ, and go back to fishing (John 21).

The great "God-Breathed" passage, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus," comes after the great list of those who endured to the end in faith, viz., obedience, trust, a faith of, "the evidence of things not seen."  If my faith is only the evidence of things seen, it is not, "the faith of Jesus."  And only when I keep my eyes on Jesus will I be able to break through that age old question of Gideon, "If the LORD is with us, why...?"---- the question which reveals only a faith of sight, not that of which Paul speaks, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You have always overcome any "whys."  Amen.
**********************
News, Commentary:   www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive