Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Sunday, April 10, 2011

"I Miss the House Church"

"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3)


This morning Sarah and I had communion.  We read various Scriptures; I commented, not some preachy/teachy, really just commented; she prayed.  It was one of the best church services I have ever attended.  It brought back great memories of house churches I used to be a part of, singing with an auto-harp or just no instrument at all, praying, sharing from some Scripture passages, some testimonies (none trying to outdo the other, nor attempting to reveal just how spiritual they were), in other words, purity of heart.  This is Church as it was during the first three centuries of the Church, a persecuted Church, a Church filled with people who were just thankful to be in the "Fellowship of the Redeemed," members of the Body of Christ, citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven.  Oh, there were those, and still are today, who attempted to use the gathering of Believers for their own end, attention, admiration of others, "look how great I am," but in the days of struggle those were not the significant number.  Pardon my saying so, but too many gatherings of modern Christendom are performance.

I said to Sarah, "I would like to be a part of such a group again."  She said, "Well, that's something to pray about."

In Jesus' Name, Amen.
*************************

Blog Archive