Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, November 8, 2010

Another Prayer Available to You and Me

"Plead my cause, O LORD, with those who strive with me; Fight against those who fight against me." (Psalm 35:1)

This prayer reminds all of us that no matter how powerful an intercessor we think we may be, how much money we have, how big is our church, or "how" anything, victory in life is to those who abide in Jesus Christ to, "Plead my cause," and, "Fight against those who fight against me."

David was very good with a sling----- but so were many of his Israelite Brethren.  Any number of them could have slain the giant that day, if they would have just had the same trust, faith, and obedience as David.  In fact, David witnessed others slaying giants similar to the one he slew.  David won many battles in his life time, but those victories came because of David's right perspective, "[You] fight against those who fight against me.  [You] take hold of shield and buckler, and [You] stand up for my help."

In Psalm 18, David said, "God...makes my feet like the feet of a deer....He teaches my hands to make war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze."  Too many in Christendom today think and live as though only the big "Davids" can slay giants, "bend a bow of bronze," prophecy to the nations, reach the lost, heal the sick, raise the dead.  That is idolatry.  The reason most live this way is that it is an excuse to take the pressure off us, the fear of failure perhaps, or just an unwillingness to "pay the price."  The Amplified Bible says, "Elijah was a human being with a nature such as we have [with feelings, affections, and a constitution like ours]; and he prayed earnestly."  This "super prophet" availed himself of nothing but the same "means of grace" which are available to you and me. 

Whoever lives with their eyes, "Fixed on Jesus," whoever, "hungers and thirsts after righteousness," whoever has, "faith as a grain of mustard seed," whoever is born of the Spirit, baptized in water in Jesus' Name, baptized in the Holy Spirit, "and My words abide in you," can slay any giant, topple any mountain; "For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall."  I know your mind is probably arguing with you, but this is the none other than the "God-Breathed" Word speaking.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess my unbelief is based on my gaze.  Holy Spirit, work in me the gaze which sees You, O Blessed Trinity.  Amen.
********************
Read about one of the most serious anti-Semitic demonstrations yet on a college campus:  www.apf327.blogspot.com   

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2
=

Blog Archive