Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, July 16, 2010

What To Do With Enigmatic Questions

"I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old...." (Psalm 78:2)

The phrase translated, "
dark sayings," means, "perplexing questions, enigmatic sayings or questions," you know-------------- sort of like life. 

I am a Reformer who prays in, "
an unknown tongue."  I have people who receive my devotionals who don't.  But I must say that only praying in known tongues tends to keep us in control.  Praying in, "an unknown tongue," keeps The Living Triune God in control. 

Not only is the Bible full of "perplexing questions" and "enigmatic sayings"--------- so is life.  I know you have received prayer requests for which you have had a very limited prayer, perhaps no prayer at all.  Life's very deepest needs just seem to find no understandable verbal expression.  But not so for the pray-er in, "
an unknown tongue."  1 Corinthians 14 says that it is the spirit of such a pray-er which prays, even though, "my understanding is unfruitful."  Many object to this, but I ask, "Why?"  How fruitful has our "understanding" of life, the Kingdom, the universe been anyway?  Why not rather soar into the eternal realms and join the pray-er who, as the Bible says, "speaks mysteries," and, "edifies himself," and, "gives thanks well."  Some say that Paul was trying to stop such things in the Corinthian Church.  Well, then, he was using a very bad teaching technique when he told them, "I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all."

There is more mystery in life than understanding.  If we just accept it, we will find ourselves running to and in the Holy Spirit.  This is why our Lord Jesus Christ told the first disciples to, "
stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high," and to, "wait for the Promise of the Father."  Notice, He is, "the Promise of the Father," which alone should be enough.  Whatever the, "dark sayings," they are ours to "explore" in the Holy Spirit.

Father, in Jesus' Name, forgive me whenever I choose my own "gifts" over Yours---------------- and help me to know the difference.  Amen.
********************************
News, Commentary:          www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive