Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"So That I May Finish My Race With Joy"

"But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." (Acts 20:24)
 
The RSV says, "But I do not account my life of any value nor precious to myself...."  Three questions came to mind as I read our text--- (1.) What does, "move me?  (2.) If I, "count my life dear to myself," then how do I "count" the Lord Jesus Christ, His Church, His Kingdom?  (3.) If, "the ministry," is, "to testify to the gospel of the grace of God," then why do so many speak of "my ministry" as something else? 
 
If you ever want to pray for me, pray our text.  What greater servant's heart for Jesus Christ, His Church, His Kingdom, His Earth?  I know none.  A Rwandan Believer said that yesterday's devotional gave him a "new fire for missions and the Great Commission."  Our text does the same for me.  The Great Commission, or, Great Command starts here in front of this computer ------ but it does not end here.  Missions may, as many love to say, start at home.  Okay, but our Lord Jesus says it only ends, "to the end of the earth" (Acts 1:8).  God told Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth."  Is it any different for us?!    
 
What King Jesus said to Pharaoh nearly 3500 years ago, He is saying to you and me, to the Church right now.  Jesus suffered, bled, died and rose from the grave that I may be forgiven of sin, enter His Kingdom, have a home in Heaven, and as Revelation 3 says, "to sit with me in My throne."  But, my dear Fellow Follower of Jesus Christ, there is more.  Jesus did not save you and me just for you and me.  He saved us, "that [He] may show [His] power in [us], and that [His] Name may be declared in all the earth."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for the strength and conviction to be an active participator in declaring Your, "Name...in all the earth."  Amen.  
********************************************
NOTICE: If you only receive my devotionals sporadically, check your Spam folder.  I have had some of my friends' stuff goes there from time to time.



When an 18 year old Norwegian "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive