Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Sent Away into the Wilderness"

"The goat chosen to be sacrificed to the LORD will be presented by Aaron as a sin offering.  The goat chosen to be the scapegoat will be presented to the LORD alive.  When it is sent away into the wilderness, it will make atonement for the people." (Lev. 16:9, 10--NLT)
 
I first read this passage 40 years ago this coming summer right after our son died.  I had never read through the whole Bible before; but desperate, "alone in the world," empty, and any other words that attempt to describe such a time, was mine.  Leviticus 16 brought me great liberation and comfort.  It still does. 
 
What stood out most "emotionally" to me was the passage of, "the goat chosen to be the scapegoat....sent away into the wilderness."  What a cruel death for that lonely creature, not a quick death, but agonizing thirst, depravation, possibly even to be torn apart by beasts.  When I first read this passage, it was as though I was swept away to Calvary.  As the hymn says, its scenes were brought before me.  In my spirit I was "there." Jesus, "chosen to be sacrificed...as a sin suffering," and, "Scapegoat,.. sent away into the wilderness," to, "make atonement for the people." 
 
Yet mankind must take note that Jesus was not a helpless victim of some angry god.  "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of Myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This command I have received from My Father."  Neither was Jesus a third something between God and man.  "....God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself...."  It was the Living Triune God on that cross.  "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself...."  Jesus has plainly told us, "Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me...."  This never had a beginning, nor will it ever have an end.  Let it be noted that Jesus was not chosen as a Galilean carpenter to be the Son of God.  He is the Eternal Son who became a Galilean carpenter. 
 
Whatever grace there is, whatever forgiveness, whatever claim to sonship or citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven, it all centers in Jesus Christ.  Out of Him I have nothing.  In Him I have everything.  "For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.  Wherefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.  Let us go forth therefore unto Him without the camp, bearing His reproach.  For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.   
 
"O Thou for sinners slain,
Let it not be in vain that Thou has died:
Thee for my Savior let me take,
Thee, Thee alone my refuge make,
Thy pierced side."  Amen.
************************************
* Prophetic News, Updates:    www.apf327.blogspot.com
* Jerusalem Watch:                www.apfjw.blogspot.com
* Prophetic Video:                    www.antipasprayerforec2.blogspot.com
 
 
When an 18 year old Norwegian "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive