Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Accept What We Do Know

"I loathe my own life; I will give full vent to my complaint; I will
speak in the bitterness of my soul."  (Job 10:1--NASB)

Now if I just picked favorite "pop" texts, I probably would just
ignore this passage.  But there it was, a part of the daily reading,
just waiting for me today.  This it a marvelous reality about the
"God-Breathed" Word.  It does not just paint a "telethon" life.  It
allows reality to break forth at every point.  Some times in the midst
of great triumph comes some of the most tumultuous, devastating
events.  Many who have suffered unimaginable pain have said with Job,
"I will speak in the bitterness of my soul."

Job had lost everything--- children, business, his own health.  The
Bible says of Job's three friends, "When they lifted up their eyes at
a distance and did not recognize him, they raised their voices and
wept.  And each of them tore his robe and they threw dust over their
heads toward the sky."  Adam Clarke says of Job's friends, "They were
astonished at the unprecedented change which had taken place in the
circumstances of this most eminent man; they could not reconcile his
present situation with anything they had met with in the history of
divine providence."
Yet the Book of Job relates more than just the account of the
suffering of one man.  It is a picture of human history.  It does not
take a person very long to consider just the twentieth century before
he realizes the extent of human suffering.  Multiply that with the
whole of human history, a suffering person need never think his
situation is a surprise to God.

Most people wonder, however, Why such suffering?  The "answer man"
probably has many answers.  God gave Job absolutely not one.  The
response of the Blessed Trinity to Job's unceasing questions and the
speculations of the four experts in the Book was just, "Where were you
when I laid the foundation of the earth?"  The unaccepted truth,
unaccepted my the vast majority of humanity, is that we just don't and
cannot "get it."  So get on with surrendering our lives daily, moment
by moment to Jesus Christ, Lord, Savior, King, "by Whom the worlds
were made," and enjoy what we are able to "understand."

Father, in Jesus' Name, of course I don't understand what I think I
need to understand, but I cleave to You!  Amen.
********************************************
Prophetic News:    www.apf327.blogspot.com


When 18 year old Peter Torjesen "heard the call to evangelize China,
he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included
a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive