Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 13, 2009

"My God of Mercy" (Photo Below)

 "My God of mercy shall come to meet me....For God is my defense, My God of mercy. (From Psalm 59:10 & 17) 
 
"My God of mercy."  I can think of no greater description, no more wonderful "Name" of God than this------------------ because this is just Who He Is, "My God of mercy."  Many speak of "the mercy of God" as though He were some cold god dispensing some sort of cold mercy.  He was not such to David.  The shepherd/warrior/king/"sweet psalmist of Israel" was saying that God is "my God of [my]...mercy.  David was not appropriating mercy.  He was "appropriating" God Himself.
 
I don't need an attribute, nor some distant "grace."  The mercy of God needs to be my mercy.  Some speak of God's mercy as though it is a wonderful thing to speak of, and even something they have seen others receive.  But David's victory came when he saw that God's mercy was not just something sort of "hanging" out there, but his very own.  God's mercy is my mercy.
 
Jesus revealed The Living Triune God as deeply Personal and Relational.  Jesus did not say, "Come to my salvation, my healing, my mercy."  Jesus said, "Come to Me."  As He was "cutting covenant" with Abraham, He said, "I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward."  This is the true Biblical Theology of God----- "I Am."  From the very beginning, God has always revealed Himself as, "your shield"-- "your exceedingly great reward,...my light and my salvation....He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense"- and most comforting today, "My God of mercy."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I am so thankful that You do not just give mercy.  You Are "my God of mercy."  Amen.  
******************************************
Gregor Menga, Albanian church planter in Kosovo sent this photo of me, him, and Pastor Rick Wiater taken in Kosovo, November, 2005
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive