Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"I Can Forgive, But I Can't Forget"-- Jesus Christ Does Both

"He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities.  You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea."  (Micah 7:19)
 
In some traditions, priests absolve people of their sins.  They can't do that.  Only the Great High Priest, Jesus Christ, can do that.  Priests and other Believers can refer us to the Scriptures and remind us of the assurance of forgiveness which comes through repentance and embracing the Blood of Jesus Christ.  But only the Blood of Jesus can absolve me of sin.  The hymn writer had it right-- "What can wash away my sin?  Nothing but the Blood of Jesus."
 
You are familiar with the phrase, "I can forgive, but I can't forget."  This is a destructive factor in humanity.  Don't let anyone tell you that they have completely forgotten a painful wrong against them.  Even the worst memories have an uncanny ability to recall.  But there is a remarkable "forgetfulness" in the Godhead.  Hezekiah prayed, "For You have cast all my sins behind Your back."  Psalm 103 says, "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgression from us;" and, our text tells us that God has "cast all our sins into the depths of the sea."  The power of "forgetfulness" is in the Blessed Trinity alone, and it is only in Jesus Christ that I can get relief from the condemnation which remembrance of sin brings.  The "God-Breathed" Word tells us that "the Blood of Jesus Christ...cleanses us from all sin"------------------- past, present, future.  The absolution of man just cannot do that.
 
The psalmist said, "My sin is ever before me."  Part of the reason for this is that we easily slip into sin.  Jesus Christ calls us to an ongoing walk in His Righteousness, and we should not accept any other life style.  Here is His command and provision---- "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin.  And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"--- the Cleanser, the Forgetter. 
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I say with the psalmist, "my sin is ever before me."  You say it is not "before" You.  I want what You "have."  Amen. 
*****************************************
See the Obama Administration's lies about their standing with Israel at:
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2


You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.

Blog Archive