Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 26, 2009

"He Inclined To Me....He...Brought Me Up Out Of A Horrible Pit"

"I sank down to the very roots of the mountains.  I was locked out of life and imprisoned in the land of the dead.  But you, O LORD my God, have snatched me from the yawning jaws of death!" (Jonah 2:6-- NLT)
 
The summer of 1970 was the darkest night of my soul.  We had just buried our little boy, and my life was disintegrating.  I had never before, nor since known such heartache and helplessness.  There are so many prayers of the Bible which I experienced that summer.  The prayers of Psalm 119 below are some of the best descriptions of how the Word of God, Jesus Christ, saved, and is still saving, me.  If you ever feel overwhelmed by life, if you are ever experiencing the fear and despair of Jonah, I cannot urge you too strongly to pray the following prayers.  But do not be as Jonah who waited until he "sank beneath the waves...."  Pray these prayers now! 
 
"My soul cleaves to the dust; Revive me according to Thy word (25)....My soul weeps because of grief; Strengthen me according to Thy word (28)....Remember the word to Thy servant, in which Thou hast made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, that Thy word has revived me (49, 50)....
May Thy compassion come to me that I may live, for Thy law is my delight (77)....Though I have become like a wineskin in the smoke, I do not forget Thy statutes (83)....If Thy law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction.  I will never forget Thy precepts, for by them Thou hast revived me (92, 93)....I am exceedingly afflicted; revive me, O LORD, according to Thy word (107)....My life is continually in my hand, yet I do not forget Thy law (109)....Thou art my hiding place and my shield; I wait for Thy word (114)....Sustain me according to Thy word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope (116)....Trouble and anguish have come upon me; yet Thy commandments are my delight (143)....Plead my cause and redeem me; revive me according to Thy word (154)....Let my supplication come before Thee; deliver me according to Thy word.  Let my lips utter praise, for Thou dost teach me Thy statutes.  Let my tongue sing of Thy word, for all Thy commandments are righteousness.  Let Thy hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen Thy precepts (170-173)....Let my soul live that it may praise Thee, and let Thine ordinances help me (175)...."
 
As our Lord Jesus once said to a lonely, seeking soul, "Do this and thou shalt live."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, ------------------------- Amen.
***********************************
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2


You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.

Blog Archive