Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 20, 2009

How Do We Know "We Have Passed From Death to Life?"

"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren.  He who does not love his brother abides in death."  (1 John 3:14) 
 
Over the years I have heard much talk of "assurance."  Here is a good "assurance" indicator.  Check your love for "the brethren."  According to our text, if I "love the brethren" I can be assured that I "have passed from death to life."  Assurance does not come from me or anyone else.  People can try to convince you that you are "saved" and going to Heaven.  But that won't last.  What lasts is the "God-Breathed" Word.  "By this we know."
 
How do you know if you love someone?  Love is no a gushy feeling.  Here's a love test.  "For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"  Our "feelings" toward others will come and go; we know that.  But what must not come and go is, "serve one another."
 
The Bible tells us that Jesus "loved us and gave Himself for us."  That is my call in Jesus Christ, love you and give myself for you.  Practice this at home, at work, everywhere.  That illusive "revival" for which everyone says they long and so many books are written about, just may, "suddenly appear."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, you know that there are people I don't feel good about.  May there be no one I don't serve "about."  Amen.  
**************************************
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2


You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how to find them. Start with AOL Personals.

Blog Archive