Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So You Want to Pray the Will of God

"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." 
(Romans 8:26, 27)

For many years now I have been encouraging people to pray Bible prayers.  I remember in one congregation I had resistance from a person because of this.  She thought that was the only kind of praying which I believed had any merit.  Of course not.  But it is by far the greatest praying "
with the understanding" we can do.  Why?  Biblical prayers are the will of the Blessed Trinity, the "mind of the Spirit."  When you pray a Bible prayer, you never have to question, "Is this the will of God?" 

For years charismatics have thought that Paul could have been only referring to praying in tongues when he wrote our text.  Not so.  "
The Spirit also helps our weakness" in prayer by directing you and me to the Scriptures.  I affirm beyond all doubt that the truth of 1 Cor. 14 still stands.  "Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding...."  Praying in tongues nearly became extinct throughout the history of the Church.  It's resurgence has brought renewed power in the Church and witness to the nations.  But never forget the other truth in the mighty duo of prayer------ "Pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding."  For me, this does not happen when some prayer leader gives "specific" prayer points.  It occurs when I pray the very "God-Breathed" Word Himself.
Workshop:
If you are battling a little depression or discouragement today, here's a good prayer for you from Psalm 51: "
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."  Are you
being judged unfairly?  How about Psalm 54.  "
Save me, O God, by your name; vindicate me by your might."  Are there forces in your household, your work place, your city and nation which are fighting Christ's purposes? Try praying this prayer based on Psalm 10:16:  "Father, in Jesus' Name, drive out those who are trying to usurp Your authority in my household, my work place, my city, and the nation."  Amen.                                                   (Just trying to help)
****************************
News, Commentary:          www.antipasprayerforce.blogspot.com



**************
Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

Blog Archive