Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 18, 2008

"The Devil's Most Wanted List"

"No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier." (2 Tim. 2:4)
 
An evil dictator once said to a top general.  "You don't have to understand.  All you have to do is obey."  Even evil, wicked men can utter good principles.  There have been many times, when all else had "failed," this maxim kept me going.  Western man requires too much "understanding" before he obeys.  Kingdom man--------------- obeys.  
 
A friend of mine sent me this quote from Leonard Ravenhill, an English Evangelist and very possibly the greatest revivalist of the twentieth century.  "The Sunday morning service shows how popular your church is.  The evening services show how popular your pastor is.  Your private prayer time shows how popular God is!"  It reminded me that about 38 years ago, after our son died, a pastor's widow gave me the book by Ravenhill, Why Revival Tarries.  Along with intense reading and absorbing of the Scriptures and prayer in the Spirit, this book helped me to survive.  Why?  It reminded me of my roots, my Dad and Grandfather, two great, praying men, and, the command of Jesus, "that men always ought to pray and not give up," literally, not "be afraid, to become discouraged, to become weary or tired, to despair, to lose heart, to tire of." 
 
One of the Brothers who went with us to "The Call" in Washington, DC, said at one point in the 12 hour gathering, "Some times I wonder if I should be doing this."  Of course he should.  He meets the criteria.  He loves Jesus Christ and His Church.  He is a Faithful Brother.  When he hears "the call," he responds. Sound like a "good soldier of Jesus Christ." to me!  He is a man who may not understand it all---------------------------but obeys.
 
I sit/stand in such gatherings and have a gamut of emotions and actions.  Some times I don't do much of anything, just observe, look into the eternal heavens, consider my smallness and Jesus' Greatness, enjoy the moment, join  the multitude in praying, shouting, singing, worshiping, interceding-----"You don't have to understand.  All you have to do is obey."  Evil people destroy with this.  Jesus saves with this.   
 
By the way, here is another quote of Ravenhill which I shall never forget---- "My main ambition in life is to be on the Devil's most wanted list." 
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I do not make this statement lightly.  I do so in the fear of You!  Amen.   




Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.

Blog Archive