Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 4, 2022

"Strength, Rock, Fortress, Savior, Refuge, Shield, Stronghold"

"He saved me from my strong enemy...."  (Psalm 18:17a)

Verses 1-3 tell us that the Lord Jesus Christ is, "My strength, rock, fortress, savior, refuge, shield, stronghold.  And I am saved from my enemies."  The Word, "saved," however, also means, "delivered."  Some times our salvation/deliverance is not "from," but "through" life's battles.  

I have written before that what has amazed me about the Jews is that over thousands of years they have continued to recite Biblical passages.  Some would call it, declarations, confessions, prayers, and, they have held on to the great prayers and promises, such as Psalm 18, through such times as, "that wicked Haman," the thousands of pogroms through the centuries, and Germany, 1933-1945, just to name a few.  Of course, the same has been true of the Followers of Jesus for over 2000 years.

....and what about you and me?  So far, I have been running my race, "looking unto Jesus," at seasons, "through...dangers, toils, and snares," believing in, clinging to, trusting in our Lord Jesus Christ.  Yet, "He who endures ('stand my ground, persevere') to the end shall be saved."  I am believing and praying that you and I will so do.  I take great comfort today that Jesus Christ is, as Revelation 3 states, "the faithful and true Witness, the Origin of the creation of God...", the One Who saves/delivers, whether from or through.

Father, in Jesus' Name, my trust is in You only.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive