Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 22, 2021

For Whose Sake?

"Remember me, Lord, when You show favor to Your people, come to my aid when You save them, that I may enjoy the prosperity of Your chosen ones, that I may share in the joy of Your nation and join Your inheritance in giving praise....We have sinned, even as our ancestors did....Yet He saved them for His Name's sake...."  (Psalm 106)

In this "me-centered" world, it is refreshing for me to be reminded that the Living Triune God does not treat humanity as a race of spoiled brats.  Yes, the Living Triune God did, "show favor to [His] people," when, as John 3:16 tells us, ".... God loved the world this way...:"--- He gave Himself on the Cross for us. 

There is one particular note, however, I wish to make concerning the last sentence in our text.  "The Word of God," Jesus Himself, tells us something which too few contemplate, something which I encourage you to join me in meditation.  Jesus did not just give Himself for you and me, but He gave Himself, "....for His Name's sake."

Father, in Jesus' Name, in this obsessed me-centered culture, I pray I always live, "for His (Your) Name's sake."  Amen.  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive